Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Learning Curve

I'm writing now, because I have nothing else to do. I don't know what I want to write about, so I'll just keep writing. I've never really liked writing. I'm not sure why. It's never been something that amused me. I never really hated it either, it just wasn't something that I would do for fun. Now I'm starting to like just writing whatever is on my mind, whatever it happens to be. It's relaxing, and is a good outlet, because I don't really like to verbally talk to people about what bothers me. I'm not really sure why. I think it's because my mind goes faster than my mouth, but I'm able to slow it down for my fingers when I'm typing, or I can just type faster than I can talk. Either way, I'm able to convey what I mean more when I write/type than when I actually speak. I'm a horrible public speaker, I'm bad when it comes to speaking in class, too. At least I feel that way. I feel that I'm not able to always vocalize what is on my mind. I'm joining the Mock Trial Team here at Mount St. Mary's to hopefully help me with my oratory skills. I'll need them if I really plan on becoming a lawyer, and possibly a politician. I'm also planning on joining the Philosophy Society, they sponsor many debates, so hopefully that will also help.

Speaking of all these clubs, I went to the Student Activity Fair this afternoon. In addition to joining the Mock Trial Team and the Philosophy Society, I also joined the Irish Club or Ireland Club, whatever it's called. Either way, it's a group that takes interest in Ireland, it's people and it's culture, and many of it's members will be studying abroad in Ireland in the Fall 2009 semester. Hopefully I'll be able to do this as well. I'd love to go to Ireland for a full semester. I love Ireland, although I've never been there. I love what I know about Ireland, and I love being Irish. I love Ireland's rich history, and I love Ireland's food. I really hope I get to go on this semester abroad. It would really make my college experience complete.

I also signed up for the History Club. I love history (European history the most). It's so interesting. It surprises me how people can't be interested in it. However, people who love math and science are probably surprised how little I am interested in those subjects. Back to history. It's such a fun thing to study. What small things influenced the big things that everyone knows about? What is inaccurate about the latest history movie that Hollywood just had to take artistic license on? I love these things. Learning, and then sharing what I learned. It's very rewarding, although I still don't think I'd like to be a teacher. Sure it's fun to impart knowledge on to others, but I don't think I could do it all day, every day like teachers do. It would get frustrating after awhile. Especially if I got stuck with the dumb kids, like what happens to most new teachers. I would go crazy trying to teach the kids who just don't want to learn. How they expect to make anything of themselves when they are older is beyond me. Without knowledge you have nothing. And with nothing, you can go no where. Just "hanging out" all the time, and not trying to learn is the biggest waste of your own time, not to mention your teacher's time. One good thing about college is, everyone (ok, most everyone, some people are here because their parents are making them, let's face it) wants to be here, because they like learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment