So this weekend, I went on a high school youth retreat called RoadTrip as a small group leader. It was a lot of fun, and I'm glad I did it. I went to RoadTrip all 4 years I was in high school, and I always felt that when I was old enough, I should go as a small group leader, because mine always inspired me, and I wanted to help inspire other people.
This year I was finally old enough. Although technically since I wasn't 21 I was just a "Small Group Assistant". Even still though, it was a great experience. I was worried that because I am only 18, and that everyone in the group was 16, that their might be some problems. I didn't know what they might be, but I don't think I ran into any. If anything, I think my age was a bonus instead of a boon, because it was easier for the group to connect with people closer to their age where it would be more difficult with a small group leader in their 30s or above.
I was able to get close to God myself over this weekend, as I hope some of the people in my small group did as well. Not only was I able to get close to God, but I feel even more strongly that I should go into ministry when I get out of college. I should talk it over with my pastor sometime, but I feel that I could do well at being a minister. One thing I do know is that God wants me to help people. I have a feeling that it will start with ministry, but that it will turn into something else as well. Maybe I'll work for a Christian lobby group, maybe I'll go into politics myself, like Mike Huckabee did. I don't know what will happen, but God will lead the way.
I can't stress enough how great a time it was. I know I plan to go back, it's too much fun not to.
Tuesday, February 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

That's so cool, Mickey! I know what you mean about the possibility of "running into problems" -- it's tough when you're so close to the age of those with whom you're working. That's why I keep telling the twins that I'm going to wait a couple years before going with our church group to things like summer camp as a leader.
ReplyDeleteGlad you had such a fun time and that God was able to work! And yeah, you could totally pull of a Mike Huckabee political stance. =D