Tuesday, August 18, 2009

RAWR! I'm a dinosaur!

I leave for Wittenberg University on Thursday. Awesome. Seriously. I'm stoaked. Can't you tell?

No really though, I am looking forward to going to Witt, I'm just not looking forward to trying something new, again. For the second time this year.

I went to Goshen again this summer. Although instead of going to PMI, the place that has been my home for 4 summers, I went to Olmsted. The place that I have looked down my nose at for 4 years.

Don't get me wrong. Olmsted is a great place. Now. But it wasn't when I was working at PMI.

My first 3 years, it was run by a man named Tim Zich. He didn't control his staff very well. And the entire Reservation knew it. We didn't like Olmsted because their staff was cocky (a sloagan like, "Best On The Lake" will give off that impression).

Last year, 2008, Olmsted was run by a man by the name of Wes Haynes. He's a great guy, but he tried to change too many things at once, and so things fell through the cracks. Wes was a transplant from Bowman, the best Boy Scout camp on the lake. But, again, we looked down our noses at Olmsted because there was a bit too much chaos last year.

People still look down their noses at Olmsted. Although hopefully that's changing a bit. I know I got some harsh comments from PMI alumni that visited this summer. But hopefully that's them, and not the rest of the staff around the lake.

But back to me (sounds conceited, but that's why you're here, right? to read about me?) Whatever, it's my blog. I'll do what I want.

So I was going into a place that had this stigma attached to it in my mind. It was a tough transition. I hated myself for working there for at least the first half of the summer. Yes, hated myself. Why? Because when I went to visit my friends at PMI, I felt like an outsider. I know they didn't treat me like one, but I felt like one. Once I got over that feeling in my head, and once I was more accepted at Olmsted, the summer started looking better. But if one more person (be they leader, scout or staff member) had gotten on my bad side during week 3, I would have been out of there. Packed up and moved over to PMI to volunteer for the rest of the summer. I would have gladly taken no pay and worked for free the rest of the summer.

Fortuneatly nobody did get on my badside. I am really going to need my paychecks when it comes time to pay for books.

And back to the subject of Wittenberg. I am looking forward to it. But I'm again, going into a new place that has nobody I know.

It won't be as bad though. I have no negative stigmas towards Witt in my head.

I'm glad I typed this up. It's releved a lot of stress.

Read this, or don't, it's up to you. But if you're here already, you've already read, so this doesn't apply to you.

RAWR! I'm a dinosaur!

No comments:

Post a Comment