Thursday, December 4, 2008

Chestnuts roasting over an open fire....

I can't wait for Christmas. It is by far my favorite holiday. I like seeing my cousins, and eating good food, and cold weather. This Christmas break is going to be even better, because I will get to see friends I rarely see other times. Like those from high school. I can't wait to see my friends from high school. For a lot of them, it's been since graduation on June 4 since I've seen them. I want to catch up with them. See how college is going for them. Find out what their new friends are like. There is so much to do, I don't even know if I'll have the time for it all.

As I'm looking towards Christmas, I'm also looking at what I will do this summer to make money. I don't think working at camp again can be an option, I just won't be making enough. Retail is probably also out of the question, because again, I won't be making enough. I need a lot of money for spending money when I go to Ireland next fall semester. And if the exchange rate stays where it is, I'll end up having about 4 euros to every 5 dollars, which is not a terrible exchange rate, but is certainly not a good one either. Last summer my friend worked at a day camp sponsored by the the Park Service, and he made some pretty decent money. I'll have to check that out, because it might be a good option, especially because we could probably car pool, and end up paying only half the money for gas, thus saving ourselves each a fair amount of money.

I came to college, knowing what I wanted to do with my life. In a few short months, I have no idea anymore. Things have changed and I don't like it. I don't want to be a lawyer anymore. I still want to major in history, and at least minor in political science, but beyond that, I have no idea. I thank God that I have another 3.5 years to decide what I want to do, because I think I'll need it. That is another thing. I feel like I've gotten more in touch with my faith since I've come here. Seeing the copious amounts of Catholics, and talking with them about faith, have re-enforced my belief in the Lutheran dogma. I find it hard to understand how otherwise intelligent people can just take what one man says as the word of God. The Pope is still just a man. I keep getting told of Papal Infallibility, and I think, well, unless there is Cardinal Infallibility, and Bishop Infallibility and Priest Infallibility, then Papal Infallibility is in essence fallible. There are too many Catholics here who refuse to question their faith, and just blindly accept it without really understanding what it means. It saddens me, because these people could probably be stronger Christians if they would question their faith. That's what I have done. You can't learn or grow without questioning what is being taught.

No comments:

Post a Comment